The Adoption Process
Adopting a greyhound from GPADB is a process in which we strive to find the perfect dog for your home and lifestyle. We recommend researching the breed to determine if a greyhound is for you. In addition, we also recommend attending at least one Meet and Greet or visiting the adoption office. This will let you visit with greyhounds and talk to adopters to get a feel for what owning a greyhound is like.
What is the process?
The first step to adopt a greyhound from GPADB is to fill our application. The questions asked are used to help determine if a greyhounds is the right breed of dog for your household.
Our local Representative will contact your veterinarian (if you have a pet) to verify that your pet is up-to-date on vaccinations and heartworm prevention. Personal references will also be contacted.
After the Application is approved, we look among the greyhounds we have available to find a good match for your home. This process usually takes a minimum of 2 weeks. If we do not have a greyhound that fits your particular needs, it may take several weeks. We ask that you be patient and wait for the right dog. Once adopted, you will agree that your greyhound was worth the wait.
Once the pet is picked the adopter will have a home visit with an Adoption Representative and the greyhound. The home visit is time for the greyhound to see your home and to see how he/she reacts to the adopter's household. It is asked that everyone in the household be present for this visit.
What is the Cost of Adopting?
There is a $260 adoption fee donation, which covers:
- Spaying or neutering
- All current vaccinations
- Heartworm testing
- Worming for parasites
- Teeth cleaned
- Martingale collar, snap collar and leash
- Book: Adopting the Racing Greyhound by Cynthia Branigan
- GPA Identification Tag
- Kennel muzzle
- Use of a crate for the first 30 days
How Do I Get an Application?
You can call (386) 239-3647, write to or visit us at Greyhound Pet Adoptions of Daytona Beach 960 S Williamson Blvd, Daytona Beach, FL 32114, attend a meet and greet or you can download one by clicking here
. Complete and return it to the adoption office in person or by mailing it to us at Greyhound Pet Adoptions of Daytona Beach 960 S Williamson Blvd, Daytona Beach, FL 32114
The time between the submission of your application and the notification of your dog's availability may be as short as a few days or as long as a few weeks. Remember that GPADB is staffed solely by volunteers (most have full-time jobs). We try to move adoptions along as quickly as we can. We know how excited you are! We have no way of controlling or predicting when these dogs will come off the track. Although you may indicate your preference, we do not have control over the quantity, sex, color, or expected retirement date for these greyhounds. Picking a greyhound for its personality and compatibility with your lifestyle is more important than picking based solely on color or even sex.
What are the Adoption Guidelines and Requirements?
The following are important guidelines you must agree to follow if you adopt a greyhound
- You must agree to always keep your greyhound on a leash whenever it is outdoors, unless in a TOTALLY fenced area.
- A GPA ID tag and your personal ID tag must be kept on your greyhound at all times, stating the greyhound's home address and phone number.
- Your greyhound must be kept indoors except when getting walks or exercise.
- Your greyhound must NEVER be tied to anything.
- You understand that your greyhound has not been raised in a home environment and will need time and patience to adjust.
- You will NEVER discipline your greyhound by hitting him/her.
- You agree to keep your greyhound up-to-date on all necessary shots, heartworm prevention and other medical needs.
- You agree to keep your greyhound as a pet and never use it for racing, breeding, or laboratory research.
- If your greyhound should be missing for any reason, you agree to call GPA Daytona Beach, the police, and animal control immediately.
- If for any reason, you decide you cannot keep your greyhound, you will return him/her to GPA Daytona Beach, who will then find a suitable home.
- You agree to allow a GPA Daytona Beach representative to follow up with phone calls and/or visits.
- If at any time the greyhound is not being provided a proper home, as noted by the above statements, the greyhound will be retrieved by GPA Daytona Beach.